Wednesday, May 19, 2004

 
Where Did Spring Go???

So, I guess they were right about Global Warming. I was walking home last night and realized that there never was the season 'Spring' this year. Save for a few scant days of 60 degree weather, we went immediately from the 50s and 40s to the upper 70s and 80s. Almost over night. Normally I'm gone by this time and have moved immediately to a warmer place, so I'm not around for the change of seasons, but this year, here I am, and darn it if it doesn't scare me.

Now, this wasn't supposed to be a political piece, but it's turned into one. In searching for a link to 'global warming' above, I found this site, which upsets me a lot. They claim to be a non-partisan consumer advocacy group (the Cooler Heads Coalition--which is under the umbrella of the National Consumer Commission), but with who's on their list of supporters (e.g. The Heritage Group and 'Alliance for America' and other groups of old, white, rich people with nothing to do but try to be all up in everyone's business IMHO), clearly that's not the case. This group categorically denies that global warming is really an issue, and that further regulations guarding the use of CFC's and the accumulation of CO2 are going to cause increases in prices for consumer goods. This is interesting to me, in light of what I just said. It's really hot outside--and no one is talking about it being a heat wave…it's just our climate CHANGING…Seems to me like someone is masquerading as a public information source and is actually the PR arm of a network of big-business retirees trying to keep their portfolios in line. (wow, I'm becoming such a conspiracy theorist)

On the flip side, though, moveon.org recently sent an email to it's members saying that people should go see The Day After Tomorrow and pass out flyers reminding audiences that the types of apocalyptic spectacle shown in that movie could indeed happen if we're not steadfast in our concern and policy on global warming. I don't want to sound cynical, but I don't think that's going to do a damn thing. Sure, some of these people may take the flyers and say 'oh, look, it could really happen, I'll recycle my Coke can', but that's where it'll stop. As Americans, we generally say we support issues regarding environmental concerns, but often fail to follow through when it comes down to paying higher prices for environmentally friendly goods or boycotting companies who won't get with the program.

And even when advocacy groups do affect positive changes in our policy, that policy is only for the US. The problem with global warming clearly becomes not the word 'warming,' but the 'global' part of it. How can we really combat this problem, as it is a GLOBAL issue? The people at the NCC say we shouldn't regulate too much the use of CFC's and CO2 emissions, that it's bad for business and consumers. The Greenpeace organization would probably have the US ban them altogether. But that doesn't solve the real basic issue either: we're not the only industrialized nation in the world.

*gasp*

Now that you've recovered from this shock, let's keep going, shall we?

A global coalition is clearly the only real way to fix this problem (and many, many others). If we, the US, just impose our regulations on companies with factories in the US, then we're only making sure that no damage is being done by us here. I think, though, we can all agree that it's not outside the realm of possibility for a company to decide that due to regulations in the United States that they'll just outsource their factory work to somewhere that's got cheaper labor and fewer environmental regulations.

Of course, they wouldn't admit to that, blah, blah, blah, but they'd move to SE Asia (or have all ready done it), and then look-at-it-go, 30 years later there's a big honkin' hole in the ozone over California because lo and behold: air moves (gasp again), and the shit that the American Corporations have pumped into the air in their factories in Southeast Asia is now hanging over LA and giving cancer to the children of those people who pushed for these moves. Justice is served, and now we can all laugh at those rich West-Coast bitches for finally getting their just desserts.

Don't we wish. The world, though not without a sense of poetic justice, doesn't always work that way. There is ALREADY a hole in the ozone above Australia, and that's the result of factories in thPhilippineses. Australia itself has few companies that engage in that kind of business, what did they do to deserve that? (I mean other than Paul Hogan)

What're we gonna do? I don't know, but man it's sure hot outside. I guess I just wish I didn't feel so guilty every time I think about what's wrong with the world…Let me know what YOU think! Give me a comment.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives