Sunday, July 04, 2004

 
Today: At HomeTown: The sun, weddings, and Dick size.

So, On Friday, after 3 hours of work, I boarded a train which would be home for the next 10 hours of my life. The Amtrak Maple Leaf Express train from NY to Niagara Falls travels up the Hudson river to Albany, then heads west to Syracuse, Rochester and then to Buffalo before going north again to Niagara Falls...then I think it goes to Canada. Well, due to some weird sort of scheduling mishap I ended up showing my breast to--wait, no, I ended up getting off at Rochester and driving down with Sara to Fredonia. Where I'm from. It's a little town full of little college and little bars and just, well, a lot of littleness.

On the way, I finished two books, three magazines and read an entire village voice (yes. Including the back section--Speaking of which, Mandy the she-male is very attractive for a trannie hooker...hmmm)

The reason for my return to Fredonia was not the 4th of July. I'm not that familially patriotic and I didn't even have the money to come up. As luck would have it, my very good friend Riley was getting married this weekend in Westfield, which is even smaller and more in the middle of nowhere than Fredoina. My step mother, Liz, offered to help pay for the trip if I really wanted to come up. Of COURSE, given what I've been writing about NY, I said Hell yeah and the rest is aforementioned history.

So, I get to Fredonia and yesterday being a perfect day, Sara and I went to the beach and played Frisbee with her sister and her friends, talked with her cousin Megan (the genius who SHOULD NOT go to SUNY Fredonia for college), and went on a walk over where we used to hang out. We were there for just under 3 hours. It was nice.

Except, of course, not heeding the warnings of everyone, I went out without sunscreen and was burnt to a veritable crisp. This is weird to me because when I'm home in NY I spend 2-3 hours in the sun a day about twice a week and never have a problem like I did yesterday. Could it be that the sun is brighter here in Fredonia?

I doubt it.

Anyway, so later on, I put on nice clothes and took Sara to the wedding I was going to. It was BEAUTIFUL. I can't imagine a more perfect wedding (well, Christian one, at least). They looked beautiful. The evening was beautiful. The whole thing...just...breathtaking. I got a little misty. They're a perfect couple and I'm so happy for them. I wish I could do more for them beyond just be their friend, but I guess since they're perfect, they should be fine without my help.

Well, after the Perfect Wedding, Sara and I drove back into town, changed, picked up Evan and went to Wanda's house for what I thought was going to be a party. Well, it wasn't. When we arrived, there were only 3 people there. Wanda was all ready plastered, and they immediately entered into a conversation about the sizes of the penises that the guys they'd slept with had. I was not very enthusiastic about this conversation given the situation I had just been in, but I rarely get to see Wanda, and Sara is close with the other two girls that were there (I'm friends with them, too, but not very close) so I figured, whatever. I was DD and so I preferred to be around in case something happened...nothing did. We ended up dropping Evan off home and going to BJ's. Guh.

Speaking of size. There are sooo many large, unhappy people in this town. Whenever I'm home, somehow I always end up at BJ's and every time, I recognize fewer people. This is not because I know less people, it's because all of the people that have stayed here (save a few notable exceptions-ARRRR) have gotten fat. This time, some guy who I obviously went to highschool with came up to me and was extolling on how great it is to grow up. He introduced me to his wife and asked me what I'd been up to and remarked that he remembered that I was voted most likely to succeed (I wasn't. I was voted most cheerful...Ha). Well I didn't but barely recognize him. I didn't bother asking his name because I doubt I'll see him again until some kind of reunion, where, thank god, he will be wearing nametags, like everyone else I graduated with.

Finally, we decided to leave, I packed Wanda, who was, at this point, completely annihilated by alcohol into the minivan I'm borrowing from my mother and drove her and Sara home.

My home town is so relaxing!

There is a lot of stuff I have to think about regarding how I feel here. I don't know if I'm ever going to be comfortable here again. Ever.

Comments:
At least you're not working at the Pondo for the summer. It could be worse.

mike
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives