Monday, October 11, 2004

 
Today: Losses.

I went to Busch Gardens yesterday and had a pretty good time. It was nice to walk in the park without having to work. It was nice to go see so many of my friends in their shows. It was just, overall, pretty nice. I found out, however, that one of the supervisors had died pretty recently. He was the one Supervisor at Busch who I really liked and who I felt cared for me. I had spent my last week at the park helping him move all of the Howl-O-Scream corpses and such into their new homes and had gotten pretty close to him. He had begun to call me Matty, which is something that very few people are allowed to do. I don’t know really how to sum him up, other than to say that he was a really great person and it’s sad that he’s not here anymore. They said he died in his sleep. He wasn’t even 40. I’m glad I got to know him.

Today, I went to Jim’s memorial Service. The Supervisors at Busch Gardens never really made me feel all that welcome, to be honest, other than Jim, so seeing all of them crying was weird. Being around was weird. I saw some of my old friends who I hadn't seen at the park yesterday, which was nice, but, of course, I wished it could have been under different circumstances. Jim was an accomplished Jazz musician and the memorial was full of music. I was very happy to see that everyone who spoke of him felt the same admiration that I felt. He was a universally admired person. I'm glad I had the privilege to know him.

Also in the Obituary section is Christopher Reeve. That’s also sad. There are certainly various things that are going to happen politically because of his death. That’s also sad. I think, though, that no one famous can die this year without it becoming some kind of political free-for-all. Let’s see if it happens with Superman.

I got home from Jim’s Service today and of course the Nanny was ending as I came in the door… Fortunately, the Golden Girls was on next, but it had to be an episode where one of the girls thinks she’s dying. They were all talking about how they want to be taken care of when they die. It was ill-timed at best, but man, those old ladies sure are funny.

When I die, I want there to be a party. Nothing lavish, just a gathering of people to have a good time, listen to some music and tell mean jokes about me. That's right, I want people to make fun of me. I'm a silly guy. I want it to be just like a celebrity roast, only I'm dead. Okay? okay.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives