Friday, February 11, 2005

 
Today: Post.

My show ended Wednesday Night. Thank you to all of you who came. Thank-you also to those who emailed that they couldn't come but hoped it went well, I really appreciate it.

The show went exceedingly well. I'm really proud of my work in it.

On an unrelated note, I just found out that the boyfriend of a childhood friend of mine has recently died in Iraq. That fucking sucks. I hate this war. I hate what it's doing to my peers, my friends and my country. I can't really say much more about it than that at this point.

On another unrelated note, I was on the train yesterday without anything to read and next to me was a copy of NY Blade, so I read that. For all of you who don't know what NY Blade is, it's a free gay 'paper' in nyc. Now, for those of you who know about free papers in New York, sometimes they have good writing, sometimes they have terrible writing. This paper had some of the worst writing I've ever had the misfortune of passing my eyes over. The two pages that were actually writing and not dish or ad space included this horribly written editorial by a woman who couldn't make up her mind about what she was trying to have an opinion about. She was a black lesbian, and her point was that the gay community in this country must court the Black gays because they are an underused assett in organizing the black community on our issues--Sure. I can agree with that. THEN she goes and said that the reason the Dems. lost the election was because of Gay issues--with friends like this, who needs friends. She CONTINUED and said that BLACK gays especially had a significant impact on the election this year. WTF??? No offence, lady, but though you're right that the homogenous look of the gay movement has left some people of color by the wayside, it's not a one-sided issue. We don't have this widespread 'DL' thing in white gaydom--it's hard to reach out to people who flatly deny they're one of us. She then goes on to say that black gays are flocking to gay organizations BECAUSE of the fact that they've been media pawns before. I don't even think she knew what she was saying. I tried to find it on line just now so I could quote some passages, but they only had the new editorial up. Oh well. I just wish people had some kind of integrity when they're editing these free so-called newspapers. There's a lot of dammage that can be done by someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're saying--take it from someone who knows. Whatever. So ends my bitch-session for the day.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives