Wednesday, July 06, 2005

 
Today: Why morals?

I've been confronted with the world 'morals' too many times lately. People keep giving me weird looks when I say 'I'm amoral. I only deal in ethics' . It seems to me that either people are using it incorrectly or the meaning of the word morals has connotatively changed into some catch-all term meaning 'anything that you believe is correct.' If that's the case, then I'm changing languages.

Why would morality apply to business? What does one have to do with the other. Why would morality have anything to do with anything outside of what your traditional beliefs are? That's what morality is, isn't it? I mean, in the dictionary it says that morals are pertaining to principles and ethics and stuff like that, but that can't really be the connotative meaning--there is, in this country some very religious connotation to that word, that's why I won't touch it.

My opinion: let god, or God or GOD or whatnot keep his/her/its morals and let me have my ethics. I was told recently that the concept of god is what keeps ethics afloat. I had a difficult time wrapping my mind about that notion considering that God has nothing to do with anything in ethics, only morals. This is why I won't have morals. I find them irrational and useless. Baseless and old-fashioned.

Fuck morality. It's piousness wrapped in outdated common-law and social conditioning.

There's my rant for the day. Enjoy.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives